It is an honour to work for Obanos as President of the Mystery of Obanos
We have many exciting projects that we hope to gradually launch to energise the cultural and touristic life of Obanos and the Valley.
The present year, 2021, is the year of Saint James. It is a jubilee year that, due to the globalised effects we are suffering as a result of the coronavirus pandemic, will extend to the year 2022.
Let’s hope that by then travel will be back to normal on the roads to Santiago.
I hope for you to be able to get a closer look at Obanos through this website and to know a little bit about the Mystery of Obanos and our people.
Ultreia esusella deus adyudanos
From Obanos, a crossroads
Juan Manuel Rubio Guembe
(President of the Mystery of Obanos Foundation)
From its constitution in 1993 until 1998, the presidency of the Foundation was held by the Government of Navarre via the representation of its Minister for Education and Culture. After this initial stage, the presidency went on to be occupied by the Elder Hermit of the Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui, or a person nominated by that entity.
The nine trustees that comprise the Board of the Mystery of Obanos Foundation are as follows:
- Ministry of Culture of the Government of Navarre.
- Archbishopric of Pamplona.
- Obanos City Council.
- Parish of San Juan Bautista of Obanos.
- Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui.
- Association of Friends of the Way of St. James of Pamplona.
- Association of Friends of the Way of St. James of Estella.
- Two relevant members from the fields of Art and Culture of Navarre.
Communities of St. James
In 2001, the Mystery of Obanos Foundation decided to create the figure of “honorific member”, and to offer this distinction to all the Autonomous Communities linked to the Way of St. James. Associated with this historical framework are the legends of San Guillén and Santa Felicia, more popularly known as the Mystery of Obanos.
“Honorific members” are given the right to participate, without the right to vote, in the Foundation’s board meetings. Such members also commit to carry out the work of advertising this popular demonstration to the public in their respective territories.
In March 2002, practically all of the Autonomous Communities linked to the Way of St. James officially agreed to join the Foundation as “honorific members”.
The honorific members of the Mystery of Obanos Foundation are as follows:
- Representative of the Government of the Autonomous Community of Navarre.
- Representative of the Xunta (Government) of Galicia.
- Representative of the Government of the Community of Aragón.
- Representative of the Government of the Community of La Rioja.
- Representative of the Government of the Community of Cantabria.
- Representative of the Government of the Community of Castilla-León.
- Representative of the Government of the Community of the Basque Country.
The Mystery of Obanos Foundation was established on 29 March 1993 at the initiative of several institutions, and public and private entities of the Autonomous Community of Navarre. Their aim was to promote the recovery and promotion of this popular demonstration. Its governing board is made up of the Government of Navarre, the City of Obanos, the Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui, the Archbishopric of Pamplona, the Parish of San Juan Bautista of Obanos, and the Associations of Friends of the Way of St. James of Estella and Pamplona, as well as two showcased members of the cultural and artistic fields of the Autonomous Community.
The Mystery of Obanos Foundation is defined as a private, permanent, non-profit association, established in accordance with the regulations set forth in the Regional Law of Navarre. It also has its own legal personality and enjoys the legal capacity to act in its own right without limitations other than those expressly imposed by the applicable legal provisions and those established in the Statutes.
- Contribute to the recovery of the enactment of the “Mystery of Obanos”, as well as its organisation and implementation, ensuring the maintenance of the original spirit of the work.
- Preserve, protect and safekeep the assets of the “Mystery of Obanos” Foundation and any other assets that could be incorporated into its heritage by virtue of donations, acquisitions or new investments.
- Promote any other activity directly or indirectly linked to the celebration of the “Mystery of Obanos”.
- Contribute to the promotion and development of programs aimed at the recovery of spiritual, historical, and cultural values of the Way of St. James in Navarre.
Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui
Since its creation in 1967, the Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui has assumed the responsibility of organising the staging of the Mystery. It currently continues to develop this work as a part of the Mystery of Obanos Foundation, to which it belongs as founding trustee.
As a non-profit association, the aims of the Brotherhood’s activities are to achieve the following objectives:
- To encourage the worship of and devotion to Santa María.
- To promote and facilitate all kinds of meetings and gatherings that promote the religious, cultural, touristic and social development of the village of Obanos and to collaborate with the “Mystery of Obanos” Foundation. The Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui is composed largely of residents of the Village of Obanos and of other towns.
- To conduct the cultural and social activities deemed appropriate.
- To collaborate with the “Mystery of Obanos” Foundation in maintaining the costumes and enactment of the “Mystery of Obanos”.
The Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui is made up of persons over 18 years of age who, having duly completed their application, wish to cooperate with its objectives and accept the statutes.
Members assume the rights to:
- Participate in the General Assembly with the right to vote.
- Be elected to serve as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Be informed of the Association’s progress.
It is members’ duties to:
- Maintain and preserve the Hermitage of Arnotegui.
- Collaborate and help in the festival of San Guillermo and Romerías.
- Pay the annual fee.
The Board of Directors is composed of the President or Elder Hermit, Vice President or Second Hermit, Secretary or Chronicler, Treasurer, four Members and the Chaplain. It is currently these members who carry the main weight of organising the Mystery of Obanos.