Since its creation in 1967, the Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui has assumed the responsibility of organising the staging of the Mystery. It currently continues to develop this work as a part of the Mystery of Obanos Foundation, to which it belongs as founding trustee.
As a non-profit association, the aims of the Brotherhood’s activities are to achieve the following objectives:
- To encourage the worship of and devotion to Santa María.
- To promote and facilitate all kinds of meetings and gatherings that promote the religious, cultural, touristic and social development of the village of Obanos and to collaborate with the “Mystery of Obanos” Foundation. The Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui is composed largely of residents of the Village of Obanos and of other towns.
- To conduct the cultural and social activities deemed appropriate.
- To collaborate with the “Mystery of Obanos” Foundation in maintaining the costumes and enactment of the “Mystery of Obanos”.
The Brotherhood of Hermits of Arnotegui is made up of persons over 18 years of age who, having duly completed their application, wish to cooperate with its objectives and accept the statutes.
Members assume the rights to:
- Participate in the General Assembly with the right to vote.
- Be elected to serve as a member of the Board of Directors.
- Be informed of the Association’s progress.
It is members’ duties to:
- Maintain and preserve the Hermitage of Arnotegui.
- Collaborate and help in the festival of San Guillermo and Romerías.
- Pay the annual fee.
The Board of Directors is composed of the President or Elder Hermit, Vice President or Second Hermit, Secretary or Chronicler, Treasurer, four Members and the Chaplain. It is currently these members who carry the main weight of organising the Mystery of Obanos.